People have specific feelings about typography when they see it for the first time. We can say the same thing when it comes to colors. We have different reactions to written texts, i.e. it is a way of communication. If a brand’s chosen typography style helps the audience understand what the brand wants to say, the brand will achieve their targets faster.
Fonts will create your own personality. For instance, if your business is respectable or traditional then you should choose a font style that reflects a historical image. On the other hand, for a stable and welcoming business, you might choose a less formal font, and so on.
Let’s take a look at typography in logo design, and see what each font means:
- If you take a look at The New York Times, Yale, Gap, and Time, you will notice that they use serif fonts, which work better in formal situations; since they promote the feelings of class and heritage thanks to its classical nature, and carry feelings of trust and respect, making them the commercial identities that revolve around power and greatness.
- Companies like Volvo, Honda, and Sony use slab serif fonts. These companies make intuitive products and innovate new ideas that create an impact in the market. This type of font is frequently used by technology brands and car manufacturers to deliver confidence, modernity, and creativity to their customers.
- The simple and effective nature of the sans serif fonts makes them ideal for brands that want clarity first when designing a company logo, such as Nike, Chanel, Microsoft, and Evian. Technology companies, clothing brands, and businesses use these fonts to emphasize “forward-thinking” ideals and brand purposes. Also, it gives a sense of honesty and sensitivity.
- We can see modern fonts used in Facebook, Nars, Hulu, and Shutterfly. Modern fonts are used to transmit the feelings of intelligence, exclusivity, and style. This font type helps you showcase your brand name in an easy-to-read and modernized way. Modern fonts are designed to be simple and legible, and it comes with thin and thick transitions in the strokes between letters. It also contains thin horizontal characters.
- Companies like Coca-Cola, Instagram, and Ford use script fonts. They’re intended to deliver flirting ideas of femininity, creativity, and elegance. So, if you want a more personal feeling and improve your chances with customer affinity, then script typefaces could be the best option.
Share with us your typography types and tell us what people think about your company in the comments section below.